Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pitbulls

Dreameyce posted this on her blog, and not to be a copycat, but well, I love the message, and I think that the more it is spread the better.

I love pit bulls. I would own a pit bull. but then i would live in fear. one day my dog could be taken away from me- just because of what she is. I wouldn't be able to travel. Imagine not being able to take your dog on holidays with you. Or having to put a muzzle on the dog to go for a walk. Owning a pitbull is a huge responsibility. That dog would have to be on her best behavior everywhere, all the time. There is no room for error when the whole world is waiting, watching for you to snap. I couldn't deal with the stares, the fear in people, and the issues that would arise when I defended the dog i love. I don't think I have the heart to do it.

I love and admire the breed and Pitties will always have a soft spot in my heart for them. I can't resist saying to hi to any I see on the street, and am always on the lookout for cuteness. But it is highly unlikely that I will ever get to own one.

Not to get into the whole breed specific ban, but it's a bunch of Bullsh*t frankly, and i have no patience for anyone who judges a whole breed based on a few bad owners. I am with dogs ALL DAY LONG. Big groups of them. The best "Greeter" is a pitbull. A cute little dog that I would take home in a heartbeat (he is much loved however, and has a great home) It is funny to me that the some (if not most) people who are afraid of the breed have never even met one. Serious. I can tell you I've had far worse experiences with shih tzu's and cockers than Pitbulls. It is all about the owner. There are bad dogs in every breed. A good owner makes a great dog, and a bad one, well what do you think happens??

Anyway, off my soapbox now, Enjoy!

9 comments:

Paws on the Run said...

That was great!

dreameyce said...

I still can't believe people think breed bans will actually solve any problems. Not only shocked, but appalled. *sigh*

If only sane people ran the world!

Life With Dogs said...

I could not agree more - it's not about the breed nearly as much as it is the dog/owner...

Natalie said...

I agree wholeheartedly. I think BSL is crap, and only treats the symptom and not the cause of the problem. The problem is bad owners. If people want to pass laws, it should be on dangerous dogs of ANY breed and owners who shouldn't own animals.

I too would love to own a Pit Bull or AmStaff, they're excellent dogs. And while I do know there are plenty that get along great with other dogs, I want to own plenty of other dogs and I don't think it would be fair to the Bully. So I don't know if I'll ever own one. But I continue to admire from afar and stand in their defense when possible.

Nicki said...

We had a huge issue over a pit bull ban here where I live. It's such crap. I get attacked by more Chihuahuas than anything else.

onecollie said...

that was so sweet!! too bad we didn't still have that picture of me getting those huge slurpy kisses, from a dare I say it!!, a PITBULL!

Kate said...

The pound back home is full of pitbulls, and most of them are SOOOOO sweet. It's hard not to fall for them.

When a pitbull bites it's just so devastating, due to the power in the jaws. A shih tzu attack probably wouldn't make the paper.

dreameyce said...

Kate- most "Pit Bull bites" I see on the news aren't even notable. There's very few full-on attacks, or bites worth noting on the news.

Many of the "Pit Bull attacks" I've seen on local news stations, there hasn't even been broken skin, and the dog(s) simply chased someone.

I've had worse bites (And scars) from a Yorkie. Not saying of course that Pit Bulls can't do tons of damage when/if they DO bite, or that Pit Bull bites don't happen, but pretty much if someone THINKS a Pit Bull was being at all aggressive, it makes the local news, at least here. Any other type of dog can almost get away with murder, but if it's a Bully breed even growling or chasing, it makes headlines.

Now MANY dog attacks, where a dog attacks someone, and it's stated it's a Pit Bull, photos of the dog, it's not AT ALL a Pit Bull. Many cases even, Animal Control lists the dog as something other than a Pit Bull, but the media tags it as a "Pit Bull" because people read Pit Bull stories.

Natalie said...

Thanks for the write up and the video. My little Ivy is the sweetest thing ever and yet a guy walking in 'my' park told me that I was a bad mother for owning her and that 'all of them' should be muzzled if out in public. I was really upset, but now I think,
'bring it on'! She is by far the laziest dog that I have ever had in my house and is amazing with the kids, couldn't have asked for a better temperment in a dog.