Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Paranoid

So I am completely paranoid that Wicca is lame, going to become lame, going to break a leg, going to become crippled, etc. etc. etc.

I have serious anxiety about this. And it bugs me a lot. It gets in my head, and I sometimes can only think about that. It is hard to train and handle my dog when I am so worried about potential injury. With Nationals in only a few weeks I am even more worried.

My experience with Sam has completely freaked me out. One minute a happy, healthy, active, agile little beast, suddenly injured, and then gone. It broke my heart, and I don't think I could stand it if something happened to Wicca.



Wicca is a very intense dog- she is very fast, and she doesn't care for her body. She has been injured in the past. She is quite often stiff after a weekend of trialing, and even sometimes after training. It is worrisome. I keep her trim, and active. We do lots of conditioning- running, swimming, up hills, down hills, stretches, massage...all in an effort to keep injury at bay.

My handling plays a big role in what Wicca does with her body. A late front cross can cause her to attempt to change leads in the air, slam in to a bar, land and jar her body in an effort to turn the other way. I have become a better handler- so it really takes a load off my mind- but there are instances (like last night) that my handling still causes my dog to be unclear as to where she is going.

Last night I don't even know really what happened but on a handling/jump sequence she came off limping on her right rear leg. She was fine after walking around for a few minutes- and it probably was just a stinger from a bar. But still. The bar came down because of me. Ugh.

Of course I am not to blame for all of her potential injury causing stuff. She slams her body into the upside of the a-frame, and hurls her little body through the weavepoles at breakneck speed, and she is the one who chooses to barely clear the bar. I have tried to fix her a-frame approach, but at this point I don't think I will be able to change much about it.

Physically Corgis aren't the best for this kind of sport- their long backs, short legs, and heavy front end do not help them to jump, bend or twist. Wicca has a pretty good build- she is small for a cardi. Although her high rear, and slightly roached back does not do her an favours. But she loves this sport. More than anything. Nothing makes her happier than agility. As long as she is having fun, and physically is able to play we will continue the game.

I do realise that I am being paranoid, and a bit like an over protective parent. But I have the right and I believe, the reason to worry.

5 comments:

Jules said...

I understand your anxiety. You can only do your best to take care of Wicca.

Natasha said...

I think you're doing a great job in doing all you can for Wicca to help prevent injury -- more than a lot of people do, I'm sure.

Maybe we'll bump into each other at Nationals :)

~Nat

Papillon Penny said...

You are the best corgi mom ever! She will be just fine - I see great things in the cards for you two this year!

Diana said...

I can totally relate. Every time Miley does anything, drops a bar, jumps a contact, I think, "OMG is she hurt?" "Did she do that because she is injuried". It drives me crazy. I think you have to take comfort in that you keep your dog in good shape and try to do whats best for her. Diana

Sarah said...

i hope i'm not rubbing off on you ... this coming from the person who takes her dog to vet when they cut their pad, just to reassure herself the leg isn't going have to be amputated .....

just keep doin' what you are doin' and you will be fine :)