Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Unhappiness

Sam is unhappy. Well, maybe unhappy isn't the word. He's Miserable. And there really isn't much I can do about it. It has been 10 months of pain for him- and I think he is realising that it's not going to go away. So he is cranky, barky and sulky. Which makes living with him not very much fun.

I am at a loss now as to what I can or should do for him. We haven't gone to see a physical therapist in four weeks. I am still doing the exercises and things everyday- but I am unable to get up to Calgary as frequently as before. I feel badly for him and wish that he would be magically better.


I should say that he isn't ALWAYS miserable. He is very happy in the mornings, and at night when we cuddle. He likes it when I sit on the floor with him and rub his belly, and of course he is especially happy when it is breakfast time. He is mostly bored I think- we do lots of "brain" games- he gets kongs, treat balls and the like in the daytime, and I am teaching him tricks (that don't require as much moving around) We still play catch but it just isn't the same as playing ball, or tugging with a toy, or doing agility.


It has been a big adjustment for both us I think. I am doing better than he is.

3 comments:

Katrin said...

A number of years back my 1st flat coat Regal injured a shoulder ligament at age 2. He couldn't do ANYTHING for an ENTIRE year. He was, as you can guess, off the bloody wall after week 2. best thing I found to keep him entertained was sniffing 'find it' games. he loved tennis balls, but obviously wasn't allowed to play fetch. So we changed the game. He would have to do a sit stay then I'd go and hide it and he'd find it. I use to make it very tough too. I'd put them upstairs or in the basement or in a closet with the door only slightly ajar or under the couch or behind stuff or on top of tables, etc. Anything to get his mind off of the fact that he was sooooo damn bored and not doing agility or running in the woods etc. Even years later, 'find it' was his favorite game. We would expand it to different toys too, not just the ball. Good luck and I hope Sam stops hurting soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh poor Sam. I don't remember what happened to him but I hope he feels better soon. Mira might have hip dysplasia. We get her X-rayed on Monday. =(

the Corgi Girls said...

Our Sammy! :o(

Do you have any holistically types up there? Think Acupuncture or anything might at least take the edge off for him? Maybe a herbalist could suggest something? I'm sure you want to stay away from most meds... I'm sure you've tried everything... just some ideas we had.

Give Sam kissies for us!