Friday, August 24, 2007

What is a Title?


What is a title really? Not just a brag, not just a stepping stone
to a higher title, a title is a tribute to the dog that bears it, a
way to honour the dog, the ultimate memorial. It will remain in
record and memory, for as long as anything in this world can
remain. Few humans will do as well or better in that regard. And
though the dog itself doesn't know or care that it's achievements
have been noted, a title says many things in this world of humans,
where such things count. A title says that your dog was
intelligent, and adaptable and good-natured. It says that your dog
loved you enough to do the things that pleased you, however crazy
they may have seemed. And a title says that you loved your dog,
that you loved to spend time with it because it was a good dog, that
you believed in it enough to give it another chance when it failed,
and that in the end, your faith was justified. A title proves that
your dog inspired you to that special relationship enjoyed by so
few; that in this world of disposable creatures, this dog with a
title was greatly loved and loved greatly in return. A title is
nothing less than love and respect, given and received, and
permanently recorded.

"What is a title" is written by Sandy Mowery of Wisconsin and was
written up in the AKC Gazette and Front & Finish in the 90's. I have read it before but never really read it, you know. Anyway, I really love it and thought I would share.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh! I remember reading that somewhere! Maybe F&F. I love it too! Ha! I should have this to refer to when people think I'm strange for spending so much time doing 'dog stuff'.

manymuddypaws said...

I really liked it and thought it was fitting- lots of people don't really understand the reasons why I do what I do and I thought it put it nicely...