Sunday, September 18, 2005

Start Line and Training Opportunities...

Today we had a funmatch which was lots of fun. We offered a Standard Run, and a Gamblers Course. We had a pretty decent turn out- about 12 or 13 dogs. The weather was great and everyone had a good time. I am always amazed when people don't take the opportunity and fix or help their dogs. A funmatch means it's just for fun- so reinforce those contacts and practice those start lines....

I definitely used the ring time well today- I worked on Wicca's creeping start lines...I have decided to ask her to sit rather than down- I figure it's a little harder to creep when your sitting- not impossible if you're a corgi but I think that she might understand and respect the "wait" better...So today I worked on that- the first run she went into a down the minute I turned my back....the second run was better- I reinforced the sit about three times before letting her release...I think that I have nipped it in the bud soon enough that it shouldn't be too ingrained in her little brain. I also worked on her contacts- she is releasing herself instead of waiting for me so I C/T on course when she held them- which surprised her and the next contact she was definately waiting for that cookie. Her gambles were awesome- she didn't knock any gamble poles and I got some really nice distance from her- We got 37 points in the opening and successfully completed the gamble so I am really happy with her.

I played with Sam a bit on the gamble course and he did great! We have been working on our contacts and he is catching on really well- he loves jumps and tunnels though- he is going to be a great jumpers dog! As he is getting more confident and understanding the reward system the faster he is getting which is awesome to see.
I left Kate at home- I am going to take her this week one on one and just play with her- do one jump then play, play, play....do a set of weaves then play, play, play....I think for her right now it is really important to make sure each training session is made up of 90% play and 10% actual work...We'll see I guess this weekend.

On another note- I was watching CNN tonite that was about the animals left behind in the wake of Katrina- I could not even imagine leaving my dogs behind. There was a story about a fellow who couldn't find his cat when he was evacuated and the news team actually tracked him down adn reunited him with his cat- it was very emotional and brought tears to my eyes. The showed of course the hundreds of dogs and cats that are currently homeless....It is horrible. Like I said- I could not even begin to imagine....
Well-
It is late and I am off to bed.

No comments: